This is what my studio really looks like. No photoshop, no maid service, this is what I found when I walked in this morning:
Oh, and did I mention I share my studio with my children age 4 and 7? This was a conscious choice. I love my children. I want to be with them. I want to support their own creativity. Still, this is what I walk through to get to my space:


All this would be fine and dandy if I hadn't come across this lovely post by a fabulously talented illustrator and inspired young mama who provided herself and her baby girl with this beautifully designed studio:
And then there is one of my favorite artist/bloggers, Gennine, who seems to have enveloped herself in beauty and simplicity, which comes out in her artwork.
My studio may seem cluttered (OK downright trashed at times) but I still give thanks daily that I have this space. And I am grateful that my children enjoy their space so much that it is often crazy messy. This space feeds our soul and it's the best soul food around. So I'll leave you with some photos of our space after a little spruce up. Not much mind you, I wanted to get painting!!
My main work station with my wall of inspiration - complete with my kids sculptures and hand made books prominently displayed on the top shelf.

A copper plaque on my supply cabinet, which is an old "jelly" cabinet that my husband and I refinished when we were newlyweds. I designed the plaque incorporating our initials into the punched designs.
If you have pictures of your studio, please share! The messier the better! (for my mental health ;-)
I like your studio. You have a lot more space than some artists! What I would give for those white plank walls and ceilings, I love those! I had a lighting issue too. I would suggest getting some cheap metal clamp lamps from the hardware store and clamp them up near the ceiling around the room. They make a huge difference! Here's my studio but I haven't taken recent photos overall. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathrynclark/sets/72157615421754735/
ReplyDeleteI love your post,Mari! You have coined a new phrase.. studio envy.. I am going to quote you on that! And I love it when people are so honest about their feelings. I can sure relate! My studio is more of a library because ~I have 4 bookcases with my husbands books in there.. as you can see on my blog http://www.kittykilian.nl/?cat=174 ... I could certainly use those shelves for my stuff but there is no other space. I think you are lucky to have such a warm and cozy room, with your kids painting alongside you.. it is a treasure!
ReplyDeleteMari, first I love your studio, and second, great post about space and studios and an honest and lovely post. Your studio looks used in a great way, lots of supplies, and creativity happening, and so great that your kids are in there making art with you! Oh, and have you seen my messy painting table?
ReplyDeleteGreat shots love the plaque, I work off my lounge table, cheers Marie
ReplyDelete@ Liz, I just checked out your post about your work space.... Love it. And I love all of the others sharing their cleaning / organizing habits in the comments.
ReplyDeleteYour gratefulness, honesty and humor shine through, Mari! It's a perfect space, if only because you can call it yours! (Okay - so you share it, too - but what inspiration!!!!)
ReplyDeleteLove,
Kathy (hubby sis)
I need to set up a profile and show you where I work!!! Hee-heee!!! Very sad!