On My Easel (& in my Sketchbook) 4/30/12
Today wasn't an incredibly productive day in the studio (and neither was last Friday for that matter!) I think I am feeling torn in many different directions right now and it is really hard to feel focused on anything.
So, today I continued to work on something I've had kicking around a while. I've been thinking a lot about following your heart when it calls to you. It's scary. It's a lot of hard work and it's overwhelming. I can be prone to second guessing & questioning myself & wondering if I am hearing my heart correctly half the time. But I want to follow my heart, really I do! So here are a few sketches about that.
I actually really like this one, but after having my peer portfolio review at the NeScbwi Conference last weekend I realize I have to start breaking myself out of the habit of the "head tilt" as one person put it. It is my go to pose, unfortunately!
So next I tried this. OK, not great. Kind of a boring composition I felt. (Although I do like the pencil sketch of the cage in this one.)
Another thing my portfolio needs are people with different emotions / facial expressions. I took this opportunity to try out "Surprise!" (you have a bird coming out of your chest for crying out loud!)
It's still not finished. She has a bit of "hemet head" and it's still pretty much underpainting.
I also did a lot of thinking today. I had a portfolio review with Judy Sue Goodwin Sturges and she gave me a few assignments to complete in the next month. One of which is to do a few sketches for a "Gift of the Magi" book cover. She also wants me to pick a real life woman to do some character sketches of. (She would like me to show her growing from child to an adult.) I did a little bit of internet searching for some interesting people. I think I have a few ideas, but I haven't narrowed it down to any one person yet.
I also have to re-frame a bunch of my work for a group show I am part of at the end of the month (more details on that later.) And I am finalizing my plans for some art classes I will be teaching out of my studio this summer. That's not to mention my regular teaching gig and my puppet making and claymation classes that begin this week.
Like I said, I feel like I'm torn in many different directions right now.
Deep Breath.


Wow, for thinking you were not productive it sure seems like you accomplished a lot to me! Your mind is processing a lot of information, Mari. Most artists share the same insecurities and I admire you for working through them. Keep breathing deep!
ReplyDeleteYour sketches are marvelous! Follow your heart! The "surprise" expression looks good, as well as the body language. Check the perspective of the pinky on her right hand to match the rest of the fingers, so it won't appear awkward. Otherwise, love what you're doing as always!! :)