Monday, April 9, 2012

Illustrating for Children

"Althea's Bird" © Mari Dieumegard,  A double spread illustration from a work in progress
In about a week and a half I will be attending the Spring Conference for the New England chapter of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.  It's a big deal for me.  I have a long held goal of one day illustrating and publishing a children's book.
About 15 years ago I attended my first NESCBWI conference and was utterly overwhelmed.  I was fresh out of art school, shy and not very self confident.  I was energized by the speakers and the amount of creative genius I was surrounded by, but I didn't reach out and meet people.  Again, too shy, too scared, whatever.

This year's conference is a three day affair.  I have signed up for the poster design competition, a portfolio review, and an illustrator intensive workshop.  I am determined to ask the questions I desperately need to ask, reach out and make meaningful connections and hopefully come home energized and ready to take the next step.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."  ~ Anais Nin

This quote could be my mantra. I have reached the point where it is WAY more painful to remain as I am than to risk blossoming.  When I think back on the 15 years that have separated that first conference with this one I know that I have regrets.  If I had more self confidence would I be further along in my goals than I have now?  Probably, yes.  I know that I have accomplished some great things in the past 15 years.  I became a wife.  I birthed two fabulous children. I bought a house.  I became a teacher.  I continued to paint.  I started Raven Roost Studio.

BUT I haven't become an illustrator of children's books.

It is time to let go of past regrets and learn from life experience.  Time to step out of my comfort zone and bloom.
"Magic Paintbrush" © Mari Dieumegard 2012, (work in progress) 





1 comment:

  1. It's all a journey, and you've been blooming along the entire path you've taken, Mari. ~Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete