The above is a work in progress, a painting I am doing for the Black Frame Art Sale in October, but it resonates with all that I am experiencing right now.
I have been on summer break from my teaching job now for three weeks. My goal this summer was to make more time for my work as an artist/illustrator. During the school year I am busy teaching, mothering my two children and running a home with my husband. My creative passions have tended to take a back seat to all of this. I am not a fulfilled person when I am neglecting my artwork, and I have decided to neglect my artwork no longer!
For the past three weeks I have been putting my artwork in the front seat (or at least I've taken it out of the glove box). I am still fine tuning my high wire act. My studio work has replaced my teaching work, but I still need to figure out how to juggle all that needs to be accomplished in the studio (and it's so much more than just making the art!!) with my job as mother & partner.
I was very clear with my family before the summer started that each morning was my time in the studio. Yes, I'd make sure the kids were fed, but they need to dress themselves and entertain themselves until lunchtime while Mama works. When lunchtime comes my attention is given to my family and the afternoons are devoted to my children and their adventures. This means other things like grocery shopping and house cleaning are what get neglected now. You know what? I'm OK with that (although I still have that nagging voice in my head that reminds me I am no Martha Stewart and is fearful of surprise house guests;) It's been so insanely hot and humid here lately who really wants to clean anyway?
Although I swing between feeling energized from all of this creative time & overwhelmed with all that I need to be / should be doing, I feel more balanced than I have in a long time. And the inspiration just keeps coming, which reminds me it's time to revisit my new years mantra of gratitude, inspiration, perseverance, faith.
Gratitude: For my first Etsy sale, A successful giveaway, 2 Etsy treasury lists and several commission requests!
Inspiration: My coffee with Melissa Crowe (an awesome felt artist & homeschooling mom check her out: checkoutgirlcrafts.blogspot.com), tidepooling with the kiddos & fishing from Mima's dock (soon to show up on a canvas!), listening to great music on Pandora.com
Perseverance: Not getting bogged (or blogged;) down with all that needs to be done and allowing fear to stop me in my tracks. To quote a Disney fish, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"
Faith: That by giving my creative passions equal importance in my life I am providing my children with a positive role model of someone who knows what feeds their soul and finds a way to care for themselves as well as those who are important to them. That happiness isn't found in money or material things, but in our experience of life and our desire to embrace life to it's fullest.
I wish you all the best in your personal high wire act that is life!
~ M
What a lovely post. Thank you for sharing that. Sometimes I beat myself up because I'm not a good enough [fill in the blank]. The funny thing is that I feel so much more..um, myself when I make my family and creative time a priority.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing so well, I admire you and you ability to juggle all the things you do, "keep on truckin" love your new art piece, cheers Marie
ReplyDeleteAmen!
ReplyDelete